Sunday, January 21, 2007

Relax and Enjoy an Effinger's Beer ?


Well, the rain continued through out the week. Sunday brought a beautiful sun rise, temperatures finally climb back into the 50's, but oh the ground. One can't hardly take a step without sinking to their ankles in mud. So although I would have liked to swung the detector a bit, I decided that it would be best to get another 9 hours of CPE work in and to just relax a little bit.

Today, I thought you might like to see a picture of a tin beer sign I acquired back in the 1970's. The Effinger's Brewery closed its doors in the early 1960's. I am unsure of when this sign was made as I have never been able to find a Schlehen Brau Special Brew bottle to help date this sign.

Maybe we should all take a hint from this sign, grab a big old nickel beer glass full of your favorite brew, a good cigar and enjoy life !!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats an old one. I have a good sized collection of Effinger paraphernalia, but I have never seen anything schelen brau that wasn't pre-Prohibition. According to the history I've always heard, most of the German references in the names of the beers were eliminated around World War I. Ferdinand also renamed his beer gardens, saloons around that time.

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Most of my Effinger paraphernalia is wooden cases, I do have a clock. I would be interested in hearing about your collection.

Anonymous said...

anonymous is right on the money. I have the sign and the bottle both. The beer was way pre-pro. I grew up hearing the same de-germanizing stories only they always started with a broken window and a gsoline bomb. could be an embellished story my mother had a tendency to "improve" my dad's stories. My dad got the sign in the 70's at a family reunion. From the maufacture and condition I think it was not co-existant with the beer but a "retro" in the 1950's. But that only a guess

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

I would love to see photo's of your sign and bottle.

This sign was bought in the late 70's.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had anything with my ancestor name on it. That's wonderful.

Juanita Effinger Anspach
Walla Walla
Washington
USA

Mike Effinger said...

I am the oldest grandson of Fredrick Effinger, the last brewmaster at the brewery. It closes in 1966 - I have this sign as well as many other pieces, but this one has always been one of my favorietes

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Good to hear from you Mike, nice to also here some of these signs have survived, are you from the Baraboo area !?!? I have old wooden cases and even an Effinger clock, not so sure I don't have some full bottles of Effinger yet. Now I will date myself, but I can remember my grandfather drinking Effinger's beer.

Anonymous said...

Hey!
My name is Aaron Mead. I am extremely interested in learning more about the history and what happened to the company. My email is amead@vikings.northpark.edu.

Anonymous said...

You might be interested in my ebay auction. I'm selling a beautiful wall hanging clock with Effinger beer label from the mid 50s